Success is measured by what you finish, not by what you begin. There’s plenty of advice on how to start making your business more socially and environmentally responsible. But how do you get sustainability re-started once your momentum falters?
Ingredients for Sustainability: Perseverance, Endurance, and Resilience
When it comes to rebounding in the face of defeat, nobody does it better than Mother Nature. Hurricanes, volcanoes and droughts – the ecosystems inevitably find a way forward.
In launching your sustainability initiative, take inspiration from nature’s resilience. Commit yourself to pick up the pieces and rebuild your vision regardless of the obstacles. After all, it’s better to crawl toward the finished line than it is to give up with the goal in sight.
4 Steps to Restart your Sustainability Project Today
- Identify and Reflect on Problem Causes
- Failure is often a symptom of the unique circumstances you face. Reflect on what went wrong where and decide how you can tailor social and environmental goals to better fit your particular situation.
- Re-Motivate Yourself
- If you can’t picture success, you’ll have difficulty motivating others to join your team. View your past troubles as the price for renewed wisdom and personal growth. Imagine how success will feel and spread that vision with conviction.
- Engage Detractors Early and Often
- Who was your biggest detractor for your last project? Bring them on board for a new perspective on what went wrong and why. You may not like what you hear, but at least you know what you’re up against. Greater engagement and transparency may even win a convert to your cause.
- Simplify and Aim High
- What can you realistically achieve in the short term? Are there any salvageable results from your previous attempt? Can you identify quick wins that build to big goals? By keeping expectations in line with reality, you’ll gain the support necessary to drive the larger, long-term sustainability program to completion
What challenges have you experienced in launching your sustainability projects? Were you able to overcome the obstacles?